Toxic Water In
Service members and their families living in Camp Lejeune used contaminated water to drink, cook with, and bathe for years. The water was made toxic by volatile organic compounds (VOCs). These compounds have been linked to several severe health conditions, including death.
It is believed the source of the contamination is a dry cleaning facility that had operated in Camp Lejune for many years. After the closure of the facility, the level of VOCs decreased dramatically. However, many health concerns had already taken a toll on the residents of Camp Lejune. These VOCs are harmful carcinogens that are dangerous when exposed to humans, including:
Vinyl Chloride (VC)