Rental Assistance Houston

How to Qualify For Emergency Rental Assistance in Houston

If you live in Houston or Harris County and need help paying rent, you may qualify for emergency rental assistance. The program is administered by BakerRipley, the largest social service agency in the Houston area. They expect to distribute about 21,000 households with aid. Rental Assistance Houston

You must meet certain eligibility requirements in order to receive help. First, your household must be a member of SNAP, Medicaid, or SSI. Additionally, your income must be below 80% of the area median income.

You must also enroll your property in the program. This includes rescinding previous eviction proceedings. To enroll, you will need to visit the resources page and sign up for the program. In addition, your landlord must agree to the terms of the program and sign a contract that prohibits evictions during the duration of the program.

Once you have signed up, your landlord will receive an email with information about your amount of aid and a payment schedule. Money will be sent directly to your landlord's bank account. However, if your landlord does not have a participating bank, you will not be eligible.

In the future, the Harris-Houston Rental Assistance Program may be expanded to other areas of the city. It was first launched in October as a pilot program. Currently, there are over 50,239 people applying for the program. There is no guarantee that you will be selected, so it is important to check your eligibility and submit an application.

Renters will also need to apply for the Texas Rent Relief program. As with the Emergency Rental Assistance Program, you will need to provide documentation to show you need the funds. For example, you may need to send a W9 form. You may also need to demonstrate that your household has experienced financial hardship.

If you have been evicted, you can get help with your security deposit and past-due rent. Some agencies will even provide you with free motel vouchers. Another option is to contact a nonprofit in your neighborhood. These nonprofits often offer emergency rental assistance and can help you with your basic needs.

The CDC Moratorium Declaration provides in-language support, technical assistance, and anti-eviction protections for tenants. The program is meant to help homeless families find and access affordable housing, and to connect them with services. Other agencies, such as the Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston, can help you with other resources.

If you cannot use the online form, you can call a call center or mail documentation to the address listed on the application. However, you must have an electronic device and internet access. Applicants who do not have these requirements will be contacted to update their application.

If you do not qualify for the Houston-Harris County Emergency Rental Assistance Program, you can still apply for the Houston-Houston rental assistance program. You can contact a nonprofit, religious organization, or community service organization to see if you qualify for the program.

In addition to the Houston-Harris County program, you can look for programs offered by other local and state agencies. Check with 211 to learn more about nonprofits that can help you with utility assistance.